Tuesday 23 January 2024

American Civil War Project Update #1

I thought I would start documenting my next project for 2024. I'm nearing completion to both forces for the Indian Mutiny (the rest will be shown during future battles). The plan is then to paint scenic pieces such as Elephants, Doolies etc. With all purposes that project is then finished. If I wanted to come back in a years time and paint more, I have all the schemes documented. 

My next plan is to start some ACW, a period I never saw myself being interested in. It seemed drab, uninteresting and generally I am not that interested in American History. I read a few books on a whim and my whole opinion changed. There is plenty of colorful uniforms, variety, first hand accounts, films and books to last a lifetime. There is a complete wargaming goldmine of inspiration to be taken from.

The general plan is to play Sharp Practice (I enjoy these rules the most for the way shock works), and build a starting force for each army of around 50-60pts. Terrain wise it is very easy to create gaming boards for, lots of trees, fields, fences and maybe a few houses. Any hobbyist worth their salt will have plenty of miniature trees knocking about, so that's half the job done.

As before I have gone to Foundry for my models. I am aware there is cheaper alternatives about but generally I dislike painting plastic. There's something about the heft of metal models that just feels right to me. The Foundry ACW range is absolutely gorgeous and it was a close call with using Perry Miniatures also, but I prefer the "chunky" characteristic of the old Foundry models.

I've started by placing an order of around 60pts of Confederates, which I am extremely excited to start painting. Painting Greys, Blues, Browns and the much debated "Butternut" will be a nice break from all the Red I have been doing recently. Following that I will be doing the Union troops.

The starting list will contain...

x2 Confederate Infantry with Rifled Muskets (1861 to 1862) - Louisiana Tigers "Wheat's Special Battalion"
x3 Confederate Infantry with Muskets (1861 to 1862) - 1st Texas Infantry "Ragged Old First"
x1 Confederate Skirmishers

Then any appropriate character figures/officers to flesh out the unit.

Good old Foundry with super speedy delivery times!

The Zoave officer model is so full of character


The Assembled Force ready for undercoating

Really happy with the few test models specially with the first type of "Butternut"

Some more Skirmishers ready for shading

Painting Confederates is really interesting, you can kind of just grab anything and go with a Base/Layer Highlight (Adding Grey or White for the Highlight to the original base colour). Its certainly making me reach for some paints before I never touch!

Suppose I better be off to get this metal horde finished.

2 comments: